- Aug 4, 2017. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform criticizes Luis Leyva’s Journal of Research in Mathematics Education article for calling mathematics a gendered space.
- Aug 23, 2017. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform writes a post criticizing the NCSM/TODOS joint statement
- Oct 10, 2017. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform writes a story critiquing Texas State University’s Mathematics Education Job Posting with a preferred qualification of “knowledge of or engagement with issues of social justice.”
- Oct 23, 2017. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform writes a story criticizing Dr. Gutiérrez’s chapter, “Political Conocimiento for Teaching Mathematics: Why Teachers Need it and How to Develop It” in the new AMTE book, Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods”, for saying that mathematics, as it is traditionally taught, perpetuates privilege. Read more about the timeline of the ongoing attack on Dr. Gutiérrez here.
- Oct 30, 2017. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform writes a story about another chapter in the Building Support for Scholarly Practices in Mathematics Methods book, attacking Drs. Brian Lawler, Andrea McCloskey, and Theodore Chao with the pull quote: “Any . . . connection to issues of equity, diversity, social justice, and power is better than none at all.”
- Jan 8, 2018. Toni Airaksinen of CampusReform writes a story criticizing Dr. Laurie Rubel’s recent JUME article. Daily Mail also picks up the story. A timeline of the ongoing attack on Dr. Rubel is here.
- Jan 2018. The ReportCard.org writes a piece attacking Dr. Rochelle Gutiérrez, Dr. Rubel, and Dr. Donna Riley an Engineering Education professor at Purdue.
- Feb 17, 2018. A local column in the Fort Wayne, IN News-Sentinel attacks Dr. Gutiérrez, Dr. Rubel, and Dr. Riley again. Heavily based on the ReportCard.org article above.
- June 21, 2018. Campus Reform initiates attack on Dr. Eric “Rico” Gutstein and Dr. Paul Ernest for their book chapters in the volume Springer ICME-13 Monograph, “The Philosophy of Mathematics Education Today”, A timeline of the attack on Gutstein and Ernest is here.
- August 14, 2018. Campus Reform initiates attack on Grace Chen and Jason Buell, PhD students in mathematics education for their article titled “Of models and myths: Asian(Americans) in STEM and the neoliberal racial project,” which can be read here. A timeline of the attack on Chen and Buell is here.
- August 14, 2018. Daily Caller initiates new attack on Dr. Rochelle Gutiérrez for an abstract of her upcoming talk at the Mathematics Education & Society Conference in 2019, also citing her 2016 TODOS keynote paper titled “Strategies for Creative Insubordination in Mathematics Teaching,” which can be read here.
Who Funds CampusReform?
According to Media Matters, these are 3 of CampusReform’s top funders:
- The Leadership Institute
- Donors Capital Fund and DonorsTrust
- Charles Koch Foundation
Who else in Mathematics and Mathematics Education has this happened to?
- Jo Boaler’s detail of her public attack by Milgram and Bishop
- Piper Harron’s blog, which sparked and also details the public attack on her right to call out sexism in mathematics
What to do if you or a colleague is attacked:
- Contact the Campus Antifascist Network
- Write letters of support to your colleagues administration: Academic Chair, Dean, and Provost
- Our paraphrased list from Grollman’s “Scholars Under Attack” article
Articles to Share:
- An article on how to support a scholar under attack. It gives ideas for how your institution can support you, how organizations or individuals can support you, etc.
- An article about the role of Twitter on free speech
- A story about how this kind of lack of civility is growing on campuses
- A UCLA study about teaching in the age of Trump
- A new article about how respond to right-wing attacks, by a professor who was also recently attacked by CampusReform
- Pop-up sessions at professional meetings